I love family traditions that revolve around food. In my family, we have a long-standing tradition of altering boxed foods to create easy and delicious dishes. And Betty Crocker potatoes are the perfect medium for tweaking with a few extra ingredients!
When I was growing up, we ate a lot of altered boxed dinners. Both of my parents worked full time – my mom was a preschool teacher and my dad was a police officer – and after working long, tiring hours there usually wasn’t time to make meals completely from scratch. But my mom always managed to make meals feel homemade, and using a mix of pre-packaged and fresh ingredients was her secret!
Sometimes, especially when times were lean, it was also a way to stretch small amounts of fresh ingredients (or even leftovers) into a whole meal. Over the years, altering boxed mixes and kits became both a family tradition and a challenge in creativity, always trying to find the add-ins that worked best with each different mix.
Altered boxed foods are also great for the holidays. Spend less time peeling potatoes and more time bonding with your family – and creating your own traditions!
My mom even joined me in the kitchen to make this recipe, and to share some ideas for more partially-from-a-box meal creations. Isn’t she adorable? Here’s what we made:
- 1 box Betty Crocker scalloped potatoes
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 6 oz. ham steak, cubed
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- Combine the potato ingredients according to the directions on the box.
- Stir in cubed ham and copped onion.
- Bake according to the directions on the box.
There are so many ways you can make variations on this idea! Try adding leftover turkey and some frozen peas to a box of au gratin potatoes, or chicken and spinach to three cheese potatoes. Betty Crocker has lots of potato varieties to choose from for making the perfect combination!
About Betty Crocker Potatoes
- Betty Crocker Potatoes are 100% real potatoes, farmed here in the United States.
- Skillet, baked, in the crockpot, on the stove…Betty Crocker potatoes are flexible and simpler to use than a sack of spuds.
- The product is adaptable: have a box or pouch on hand to accompany any dinner occasion.
- Experiment with the spices, mix-ins and flavors to add to your #BettyPotatoes
What are your favorite family traditions? I’d love to hear about them – leave me a comment! And thank you to Betty Crocker potatoes for sponsoring today’s post!